The desire to excel. The passion to dedicate. The determination to see it through.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Neurotransmitter-of-the-Day

Neuropeptide Y (NPY) plays a physiological role. This neurotransmitter may well explain my lifestyle. Let's take a look.
NPY is present in the mammalian brain. It plays a role in the regulation of feeding by increasing appetite and is associated with memory and learning. High NPY levels is associated with high food intake and decreased physical activity.
NPY is part of the "lipostat" system which comprises of NPY, leptin and corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH). Leptin stimulates arcuate nucleus activity. Such activity
  • inhibits NPY production and therefore reduces feeding behavour,
  • stimulates the release of CRH which further decreases feeding behaviour and increases energy expenditure.

I have mixed feelings for NPY. On one hand, it induces my large appetite (and hence gets me fat/flabby). On the other hand, it plays a role in memory and learning which is essential in my academic life, career, etc.

My family is coming later in the evening and we'd probably have dinner together. I guess my NPY levels are going to rise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home